Masasa beach is not a too far weekend destination if you are looking for some place for relaxation. Aside from its pristine beach that it offers, it is also a budget friendly destination that is why this place has already become a favorite place for fellow backpackers. The beach is located mainly at Tingloy, Batangas which is approximately a three to four hours of travel time including the boat ride going to the island itself if you are coming from Cubao.
How to get there?
- From Cubao, ride a bus going to1 Batangas Grand Terminal.
- Upon arrival at Batangas Grand Terminal, ride a jeepney going to Mabini. ( Anilao port will be the last stop for the jeepney)
- At Anilao port, wait for public passenger boats to arrive. Usual time of first trip is at 10:00AM. However, boats departs as early as 7AM as long as the boats are filled with enough passengers. Boat ride takes around 45minutes.
- At Tingloy port, ride a tricycle going to Masasa beach. The tricycle will drop you off at the nearest point going to the beach. Thus, you will need to walk for at least 15-20 minutes to arrive at Masasa beach shoreline.
Where to stay?
Bring your own tent. Otherwise, you can either rent a tent there for 150 pesos good for your whole stay or rent a space at Nanay Rosie’s kubo that is good for sharing for 200pesos per pax. In addition, for food, if you don’t want to bring any or if you are too lazy to cook, you can also ask Nanay Rosie since her place offers meals too for a fee. Her place is located at the right most part of the beach. Contact No. 09196864368
UPDATE!!! As per inquiry, it is not already allowed to camp overnight at the beach front. Camping is now only allowed until 7PM. Your option if you want to stay overnight is to rent from the local’s home for a fee starting Php. 150 and up.
The bird’s-eye view and the crystal clear water of the Masasa beach.
What to do?
- Sunset viewing
- Sunrise viewing (better if you climb Magasawang bato)
- Island hopping (if you have a bigger budget)
- Swim your heart out
Things to Bring:
- Drinking water at least 4liters
- Trash bags
- Sleeping bag/Tent (Optional)
- Snorkeling gears (Optional)
- Cookware/Kitchen Utensils (Optional)
- Extra clothes
- Extra money
- Personal Medicines/First Aid Kit
- Ride a bus that has a signage of CALABARZON so that the trip will be shorter. If it is possible, depart at 4AM or earlier to avoid unnecessary delays cause by traffic flow along the way.
- Bring a pen! This will be used at Anilao port for logging your name/s at the chief’s logbook (iwas hassle mga bes).
- Upon arrival at Anilao port, you can buy the things you will be needing at the island. You can actually have your breakfast at the port and takeout food for your lunch at the island.
- Freshen up for free! Just go wash yourself at the well near the fields. However, if you are too shy to take a bath in an open area, you can opt for a private bathroom for 25pesos.
- Respect other campers especially during late night. Control yourself when drinking liquor, remember that the island is not yours! Avoid shouting and talking too loud.
- Be a responsible person and help the community by properly disposing your wastes.
- You can lower your expenses if you are in a bigger group. As for my trip, we were only two. Thus, the food and other expenses are quite high.
- If you have more time you can hike the infamous Magasawang Bato, a two gigantic rock formations, that will allow you to have a bird’s eye view of the place. Moreover, if you got a bigger budget, you may opt for an island hopping within Maricaban Islands including the Sombrero Island that is a well-known side trip when you are climbing Mt. Gulugud Baboy at Anilao Batangas for 2500/boat that can accommodate up to 10persons.
- Tingloy to Anilao Boat Schedule: 6:00AM, 7:00AM, 8:00AM and 9:00AM (last trip). If you missed the last trip, you can charter a boat going back to Anilao port for Php. 2500
All thanks to Byajayro for the awesome photos!!!
Summary of Expenses:
|Cubao-Batangas Grand Terminal||
|Batangas Grand Terminal- Ayala||
|Jeep Terminal to Port RT (37/way)||
|Anilao Port-Tingloy RT (65/way)||
|** there are boats that go directly to Masasa beach oceanfront for 80pesos but there is no definite schedule for these boats.|
|Tricycle (60 per way good for 4)||